Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Doing better

I think the meds have really started working. I've been feeling almost normal for nearly two weeks now. Still not 100%, but getting close. I do not discount the prayers that have been said for me, either. I completely believe that God could have flipped the switch in my head. I am appreciative of however it worked.

So my birthday is Sunday. I'll be spending part of the day at my university in a sort of exam prep session. Comprehensive exams for a doctorate are no joke. However, there appears to be a growing hysteria among some of the "younger" students in the program. Not age wise, but how far along they are in the program. I think only three of us are scheduled for exams in October. And we aren't the ones freaking out. But the anxiety is just building on itself for no reason.

I'm going to pick up any tips I can and to share my study plan. Doing is better than worrying to me. When I do get worried, I find something to do to keep my mind from spinning. So I organize my notes and binders and make spreadsheets. It's good for studying and it keeps me busy. I'm hoping that showing them what they could do will help them focus. It's not that my method is earth shattering or new. But it's something physical they can look at and copy from a student who is about to meet the exams head on.

I am actually pretty calm about the exams (one month away tomorrow, by the way). The only one that has me concerned is the methods exam. This exam entails me sitting in a classroom for five hours with a computer only. Naturally, we don't have exact questions, but it will go something like this. I'll be given a scenario and asked to develop a research plan. Or I might have to interpret data and argue why or why it not it answers a question. It will involve multivariate statistics which is just as much fun as it sounds. I won't have to do the math or anything, there are computer programs that do all that now. But I will need to decide which kind of statistical method to use and why. It's not my best subject, but that's okay. I know this is a weakness therefore I can work on strengthening my skills.

I am doing so much better. I'm feeling my creativity and energy come back. I have to really focus on studying but I'm doing a little sewing and creating along the way. My pug rescue marches in our holiday parade every year. This year, the theme is Jingle Bell Jungle. Tallulah, Petunia and I will be zebras. Isabelle is going to be a safari guide. I have to make all the costumes, plus convert Isabelle's Dogger into a Jeep. Last year, I made her old stroller into a tractor.
I really want to add music to the parade group and play Jungle Boogie. Except we would all sing Jungle Puggy. I think it's hilarious. But that might just be me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice. And please no potty mouths.